Monday, January 14, 2008

Toning down the rhetoric, gaining a little perspective.

Those of you who know me very well, or who run into me on Friday nights at the CJL, will be aware that I have been almost bitterly partisan on behalf of Barack Obama in recent weeks. Recently, there has been an explosion of coverage surrounding Hillary Clinton's single careless (although not really objectionable) remark, coupled with a few foolish statements by her supporters and some others that were taken out of context. This whole charade has upset me in many ways, but it has also led me to a few important realizations. When I first tentatively announced to some friends and family that I was backing Obama, at some point during the spring or summer of 2007, I think, I was careful to point out that my support was tentative, and subject to change on the basis of new developments and learning more about the candidates' opinions. However, a funny thing happens to a person once he or she picks a side: It becomes increasingly difficult to separate one's own identity from one's team, and to interpret new information in a sober and rational light. In the wake of Obama's watershed victory in Iowa, the media supposedly went wild over the possible reality of an Obama presidency, and in the wake of that media frenzy has come a good deal of criticism over the mad rush to jump the Obama bandwagon. After some angry and confused phone conversations last night, I read an article by Leon Wieseltier in the latest print edition of The New Republic which was finally able to persuade me to take a step back and gain some perspective. All I'm saying is, I need to keep my head clear. So does everybody else. Some are wise to ask what Obama truly stands for - and indeed, to ask what Clinton, Edwards, McCain, Huckabee, Romney et al. stand for. What will they do in office? I often get upset when intelligent individuals echo Hillary Clinton's talking point that "we don't know what Obama stands for" or "he's all hope, no action." This is simply untrue. There is a little-known url that you might want to check out if you want to be an informed voter and would like to know what precisely Obama proposes to do if he is elected president. This may be hard to remember, so why don't you grab a notepad, or better yet, just click the link. Ready? The website is called Barack Obama Dot Com. I know, it's hard to remember. Life is tough, isn't it? On Obama's official campaign website, one can find all of the details of "what he stands for." I realize that he doesn't always discuss the nitty-gritty details in his speeches, and perhaps there is reason to criticize him for this. At the very least, one can't expect all of the masses to actually browse through complex policy details. But I have a hard time respecting your intelligence and intellectual honesty if you can make a statement about Obama's lack of "substance" if you aren't willing to do your homework! But that being said, everyone should do their homework, and sober, reasoned debate is always warranted on substantive issues. So I will be making an effort to tone down my rhetoric and keep more of an open mind. I mean, I'll try. And I strongly encourage the Hillary partisans to do the same (only more so. Ba-zing! Ok, ok, starting...now!).

No comments: