Saturday, April 8, 2017

Myspace Re-Post #1: Brief Update: Live Performances &c.

Note: Reposted from my now-defunct Myspace blog, where it was originally posted on February 26th, 2006. Moving forward, I will be numbering my Myspace Re-Posts to reflect the original chronological ordering of their posting. This post was modestly edited to improve grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Can I just say last night rocked? My band played a gig on campus (did I mention I'm in a band? We're called Red Heifer, and we play a mix of Jewish and secular originals and covers). Small crowd, very relaxed setting, but the audience was very attentive. Of course I was pretty buzzed (I've yet to publicly perform without alcohol in my bloodstream), but that always helps. Some songs we played included a slowed down reggae version of Matisyahu's ""King Without a Crown"" which was well received, and a three-song Elvis medley which the crowd LOVED.

It's getting to be a problem, really. The most consistently well-received song(s) I ever play are Elvis. People really dig my King impression. Problem is, they're all three-chord wonders, very short, and you kinda get sick of them pretty quickly. and, if you know me at all, you probably know that there's a whole shitload of bands and artists I like better than Elvis (nothing against him, just, y'know...). See my profile - he doesn't even appear amidst, what, thirty-five bands?

Regardless. We also played one of my originals, called ""Part of the Game,"" which features embarrassingly bad lyrics about personal anguish. Thing is, apparently I'm not much of a lyricist. In fact, I have a number of songs backlogged, waiting for me to add lyrics.

So that was the concert. Lots of fun. I got praised for my vocal skills, and chatted with the organizers and other bands. Then I met up with these other kids and we went back and watched a movie.

Doesn't sound like much, but here's the back story: I met a really cute girl this weekend with high potential. She was in town over Shabbos visiting one of her friends who's a visiting student from Stern. So we hung out for a while at this little get together Friday night, and then she pretty muched disappeared the next day. she was gonna come to my show, along with a few of my friends, but their car got towed in Brookline. and she was leaving town the next day...

So those were the people I ended up watching a movie with, and maybe now you see the significance. we got to hang out a bit more...we'll see how things develop from here on out. gotta figure out how to lure her back to Cambridge (her friend should be helpful in that endeaver, I hope).

Well, there's other stuff going on in my life, too, but this is already a rather epic post. Let me conclude with this amusing anecdote: We have a new Rabbi at hillel this year. He's, umm...chill. like all his friends have pothead written all over them, he digs carlebach, and each friday night he leads a ""shabbos breathing"" session in the middle of dinner at hillel. get the picture?

So Matisyahu rolled through here two weeks ago (to the day) and hung out at chabad for a while. I went to that, and ended up going to the concert on the spur of the moment. Good show, very surreal, but that's not the point. This is the point: at the very end of the show, I'm chilling in the back with a very pretty little freshwoman (she told one guy we were together to get him to buzz off) and Matisyahu's winding down his show. Just as the final number is finished, I see (and can still see) my hillel rabbi get on the stage and dive into the crowd. it was totally nuts! and the worst part is, the crowd didn't even catch him...heh heh. he's okay, folks, really. but man...I bet your rabbi doesn't act like that.

Ok, well peace out y'all. Thanks to those who've hit me up with a comment or message. and Perl, if you're reading this, why is it so shocking that I should be on Myspace? I'll have you know I'm quite the facebook, er, enthusiast (we have another word for it, but I won't defame myself). 377 Harvard friends and counting...plus Donni ordered me to get on myspace. and it was featured on the daily show (along with facebook)! so, nu, what's the surprise?

ok, have a good whatever-it-is-you're-having,

Chi-town Shim

No comments: