Monday, April 10, 2017

Myspace Re-Post #8: Spring Break

Note: Re-posted from my now-defunct Myspace blog, where it was originally posted on March 26th, 2006.

That's right. It probably seems late to most of you, but I finally have a little time off to welcome in the spring. I am chilling...

For reasons that are complicated and uninteresting, I'm here in Cambridge for the first weekend of my break. Well, sort of. The Rabbi here and I went over to Brandeis for Shabbat, along with another guy who floats around Hillel betimes, and a good time was had by all. 

Now I have to explain a little here. This Rabbi is no ordinary Rabbi. Some Rabbis try to make connections with the youth by acting cool and hip and chill. Well, this Rabbi's not acting. He's not trying to lure anyone, he's just being himself, and that makes for a pretty amusing picture.

You've got to imagine this slightly overweight 26-year-old with permanent stubble wearing an untucked and rumpled shirt with no jacket or tie to Friday night davening. Now you've got the picture.

So we tore the roof off over at Brandeis. Well, not exactly, but there was a fair amount of drinking and shmoozing and general good feeling. This girl I met a week ago, who hails from Sharon, MA was there for Shabbat as well. This Sharon place, I've never been there, but it sounds like a crazy place. It's rural or exurban, and apparently the population is 70 percent Jewish!

Anyways, this girl is really sweet, and I spent most of the weekend chilling with her, so we'll see where that goes.

But the cool thing about taking on Brandeis was that we had a built-in pack. The three Harvard visitors, two of our hosts, one of our hosts' girlfriend and this girl from Sharon were all generally moving in the same pack, so we had some serious energy going.

mmm. Also lately been having a bit of a flurry of guitar creativity. I just wrote a Jewish song - melody for the ""Ani Maamin"" regarding T'chiyat Hameitim. I think it's kind of a silly, funny idea, but really, why does T'chiyat Hameitim always get shafted in favor of Mashiach? Coming next - the Ani Maamin regarding G-d not having a corporeal body...

I just finished watching ""Hoop Dreams."" It took me like a week, because I watched an hour here and there between homework, and it's a LONG movie. But really good - it's a documentary, but about the most gripping doc I've ever seen. You follow the high school basketball careers of two kids with lots of talent but also lots of issues to deal with. A real rush of getting on someone else's wavelength.

Last week - agh! Glad that one's over. I had one in-class midterm, one take-home midterm, and right in between them my good friend Yossi came visiting on HIS spring break.

Which was cool, I just ended up staying up all night Wednesday night finishing the take-home, and then promptly slept through Thursday.

But that's all in the past, and I'm sailing for now - for the next week. Chicagoans watch out - I'm coming for ya! Flying in on Monday...

SSB

No comments: