Sunday, April 30, 2017

Myspace Re-Post #20: Weekend of Champions

Note: Re-posted from my now-defunct Myspace blog, where it was originally posted on September 4th, 2007.

I figured out what I'm the world champion of this weekend. Know what it is? No, it's not of asking stupid rhetorical questions to chew up blog space...come on, try a little...


Ready?


Ok


Here goes...


Turns out I'm the world champion of Lugging Around Oversize Wheelies on New York City Subways! (LAOWNYCS-ing) I established this feat with a rush hour dash from Penn Station to the Upper West Side on Friday afternoon, followed up by an all-day Upper-West-to-Queens-and-back spectacular on Sunday afternoon, with a nice little Morningside-Heights-back-to-Penn number to finish it off. All you erstwhile challengers, bring it on...

Also, although I've known this for some time, and I am a contender in the ongoing International Awkward Juggling of Possessions While in Motion (IAJoPWiM) event. I have yet to capture that crown, however...too many bumbling putzes in this world for a guy like me to make his mark...



sigh...

Today was a momentous day at work: It marked the first face-to-face meeting I have had with my boss (I've been on the job two months). It's nothing too spectacular, he's simply been in Berkeley until now (a likely story...). I should note, however, that he has been compared to Charlie of Charlie's Angels, for whatever that's worth.

Today also marked the return of my other boss, Talya. For those of you stuck in hopelessly outdated, rigidly hierarchical employment structures (which is to say, jobs in the corporate sector), this is not, in fact, comparable to the situation of our hero in the celebrated film Office Space. Danny, my ultimate boss, gives me very little work, as he is working on writing a book. Most of the work he does give me consists of scavenger hunting across the social psychological literature and beyond to verify memories he has of classic experiments.

Talya gives me much more work, which could be seen as annoying. However, she's also around more frequently, and those halls can get lonely at times (I've been hearing these aliens in the white noise that keep trying to make contact with me - but I won't let them!).

Well anyways, the point is that both of my bosses were gone, now both are back. Maybe I should explain about the lugging of luggage (not that it would seem to need explanation, given the name...)...

I went into NYC this weekend after two tranquil, placid, pastoral, endless weekends in Princeton. I left work early on Friday and made it to the Upper West with an hour to spare before Shabbos. My place of crashing was the swank pad of one Aaron K. Harris, who was in the year ahead of me up in Boston. We went to this infamous shul known as OZ on for Friday night minyan. OZ has frequently been described as a "meat-market," although this a heinous falsity, as we Jews don't sell meat on Shabbos, and most of the people there looked like they were the veggie type or else on diets.

However, there were lots of young single people there, which was a nice break from my never-ending purgatory "out-of-town" (i.e. "out-of-dates"). Dinner featured an evenly matched gender ratio and chicken. However, I grew bored of the company after dinner, when talk turned to an in-depth analysis of Justin Timberlake's (er, rather, "JT's" ) dance moves and essential hottness ...

The next day we ventured up to the low 100s to eat at another Harvard alum's place - or rather her parents'. This place was tastefully decorated in the manner of a pretentious intellectual elite. It fondly reminded me of my own childhood

ambitions.

And later in the day, after a nap, I paid a visit to "the lawn." Once again, I came in the expectation of an open-air butcher's market, and yet all I saw were young Jewish people playing games...and sports, too.

The evening was a little insane, however, I must skimp on the details. I met up with Ivan at his place in the East Village, and we proceeded to watch the show "Californication," for about an hour, before venturing out. We ended up in one of the oldest bars in New York, and it seemed to retain its 1850s feel - right down to the dirt and imminent bar fight. Fabulous!

This was followed by a trip to Washington Heights and then back to the Upper West by subway, all after midnight. However, my CIA editors tell me I can reveal no more...

Sunday, I ventured out to Queens. Kew Gardens to be precise. In theory, I was going to pick up some stuff that I left with my room mate, Jon. Turned out that it was actually an excuse for Jon's mom to foist some food on me.

Well, you've got to sympathize. I mean, she obviously never gets a chance to foist food on Jon...

Well, a conventional narrative would build to a climax [here] and then insert a brief resolution [here]. However, I'm getting bored and tired, and have better things to do, so...

One more thing: Check out my profile! I updated it recently, and seriously, it's embarrassing that it has fewer views than my blog. Really...


Good Night, and Good Luck...


No comments: