Sunday, April 30, 2017

Myspace Re-Post #22 (the LAST!): I have taken a giant step...

Note: Re-posted from my now-defunct Myspace blog, where it was originally posted on December 26th, 2007.

Ok, maybe the title is a bit hyperbolic. But today, I posted a serious comment in response to the following invitation from one of The New Republic's blogs:

The TNR Caucus: Who's Got Your Vote?

With just eight days to go until Iowa, we here at TNR thought it would be an oppurtune moment to do an informal caucus of our own. We want to give our beloved commenters the floor, and get an answer to the big questions: Who has your vote, and why? In what's already been a wildly unpredictable campaign, what do you think, as of today, is going to happen in the end? 

Of course, there are other issues that would also be interesting to hear from y'all on, if you're so inclined. For instance, in general, have you found yourself more engaged or less engaged by the campaigns--and by camapign news--this year? And has there been any particular argument, moment, event, debate, book, or article that's helped you make up your mind, one way or the other? (And no, we're not trolling for compliments.) So please, comment away!

--Ben Wasserstein

And so, I posted this:

shims-b said:

1. Barack Obama - For several reasons, most of which have been well documented by TNR, Andrew Sullivan in his terrific Atlantic article, and elsewhere.

The primary reason for my support of Obama is, yes, his ""character."" However, I do not refer to some vague, uncertain quality when I use that word. Here is what I mean: (disclaimer: I could very easily be wrong about each of the following statements of belief - it's hard not to be cynical in politics, and it's also hard to know the truth)

I believe that Obama will seek out the opinions of the most intelligent and qualified experts when handling almost any matter, and will use those opinions, and the arguments behind them, to arrive at better conclusions, on average, than any individual who thinks that he or she is a self-sufficient expert.

I believe that he will tell America the truth when and if he has something we that should be told (and which TNR will report on months before the larger newsweeklies).

I also believe that his administration will be relatively (emphasis on relatively) transparent - this much seems to be supported by his campaign's willingness to talk to the press, compared to some rivals.

Most importantly, I honestly believe that he has a better chance at winning the general election than any other democratic candidate. His appeal among moderates and conservatives has been widely discussed, and while the data may be somewhat flimsy and anecdotal, it seems logical to me to at least recognize the voter-turnout factor. In all likelihood, fewer conservatives will drag themselves to the voting booth to vote AGAINST Obama than would show up to vote against, oh, I don't know, Hillary Clinton.

2. Joe Biden - If I was one of the front-runners in this campaign, I wouldn't base my candidacy on ""experience"" unless my name was Biden or Richardson. Biden has the confidence, experience and credentials to, how shall I say this, govern from ""day one?"" I would probably support his campaign if I thought he had a reasonable chance of winning, but that does not appear to be the case at the moment.

3. Hillary Clinton - I think I speak for a large number of democratic voters when I say that we are, relatively speaking, blessed with an abundance of viable alternatives from which to choose in this primary. I would be happy to see Hillary elected president, and I am confident that she has the managerial skills etc. to get this country back on track fiscally, diplomatically and morally.

The thing that concerns me most about her is her Bush-esque emphasis on loyalty and secrecy over transparency and the toleration of dissent. She may be afraid that she or one of her staffers will say something that would potentially be an embarrassment. Well, Biden and Obama have not been so worried by this prospect, and they have each said things that the media has loudly touted as if they were campaign-wreckers. Hardly. That's why I trust them more than Hillary.

Everybody makes mistakes. A true leader is willing and able to admit them (with all due respect to those who object to Bush's numerous bunglings and disastrous management overall, I think that the inability to admit weakness or error is really his biggest problem).

A note: I will be voting in New Jersey, on ""Super Tuesday,"" so I guess I am one of those persons whose vote will count for something. To those whose votes will not count at all, I have the deepest sympathy for you. The primary system is broken, and we need to fix it!

December 26, 2007 11:13 PM

See the real live comment here:
http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2007/12/26/the-tnr-caucus-who-s-got-your-vote.aspx
"

No comments: